Training & Education

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the purpose of the CUSW Training Trust Fund?

The purpose of the CUSW Training Trust Fund is to train, retrain, rehabilitate, educate, upgrade and improve the skills of members covered by the fund. It is a response to the personal training needs of each individual, outside their CUSW employer.

Where does the money for the fund come from?

Whenever a CUSW Member is working under a CUSW collective agreement, they are contributing to the Training Trust Fund as set out in the wage schedule of the collective agreement or participation agreement for their employer. It is a pool of funds between all CUSW Members.

Who is eligible to use the Training Trust Fund?

All CUSW Members who are current in their member contributions. In order to be eligible for reimbursement you must have been current in your member contributions at the time of course completion and submission of the expense.

What kind of course should I take?

You are encouraged to take a course that will update either your technical or interpersonal skills. The course should be a type of training that will enhance your career development within CUSW. You should think about transferable skills within the workplace and what’s required for not just your employer, but other CUSW employers.

What is not covered by the Training Trust Fund?

Expenses for books, course materials, fees, exams, membership renewals, parking, etc. are not eligible for tuition reimbursement.

Are there courses not covered by the Training Trust Fund?

Work-ready training courses such as Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), Standard First Aid, Confined Space Awareness, Elevated Work Platforms, Working at Heights, etc. are not eligible for reimbursement through the CUSW Training Trust Fund. Recreational courses are subject to approval.

If I take a full-time or part-time program from College, University, Vocational School, etc. am I eligible for reimbursement for each individual course?

You are eligible to receive reimbursement for the total program cost at 75% up to a maximum of $500.

How do I submit a claim for tuition reimbursement?

You must submit a Continuing Education Tuition Claim Form, proof of course completion (certificate, transcript, etc.), and receipt to [email protected]

Documents must clearly show the name of the school/institution, your name, date, and the total amount paid.

I’ve passed the course but haven’t received my certificate yet, can I still submit the claim?

Please wait until your have all three required documents before you submit your claim. It will otherwise not be processed.

Is there a time limit for tuition reimbursement?

There is a 6-month limitation on claims from the date of course completion.

How much will I be reimbursed?

Tuition reimbursement for CUSW members is 75% of the cost for each continuing education tuition fee, up to a maximum of $500 per course or program.

In addition to individual courses, what else is the fund used for?

The Training Trust Fund is used to provide support and training to the over elected members who have stepped forward to take on a leadership role in the Participation Model. Training for members of the Unit Executives and National Committees is supported through the Training Trust Fund. Workplace Stewards and Health and Safety Representatives are also trained using money from the fund.

I have additional questions about the course I’d like to take, who can I contact?

Please send an email to [email protected] as they can answer many questions or properly direct you to the appropriate individual for help.