Constitution of The Canadian Union of Skilled Workers
Amended: Sixth Convention of the Canadian Union of Skilled Workers
April 14 & 15, 2018
VALUES AND BELIEFS:
Honesty, Integrity, Fairness, Equality, Respectful Treatment, Family Consideration, Common Sense, Decisions Benefiting the Members, Decisions Promoting the Workers, Involvement (including stakeholders), Democratic Processes
VIDEO: The Constitution and How the CUSW Convention is at the Center of it.
Visit the Constitution Committee's site to watch a short video on the CUSW Constitution. Watch the video.
ARTICLE 02 - Objects, Oath of Office and Members
OBJECTS AND OATH OF OFFICE
The objects of the Union are to provide for, protect, and improve the general welfare of its members and retirees, and:
- (i) To regulate the relations between employees and employers through collective bargaining;
- (ii) To organize unorganized workers and to provide an opportunity for every skilled worker to join a free and democratic union;
- (iii) To expand the jurisdiction of the Union;
- (iv) To improve the working conditions and living standards of the members, retirees of the Union and all citizens of our country;
- (v) To enter into collective agreements with employers respecting terms and conditions of employment;
- (vi) To refer members to employment and to otherwise seek to improve the employment relationship of the members;
- (vii) To provide health, safety, social, economic and political benefits to its members and retirees;
- (viii) To encourage progressive legislation to assist the members, retirees of the Union and all citizens of our country;
- (ix) To improve the training and skills of members and retirees of the Union;
- (x) To promote gender and ethnic equity in the workplace and in the Union;
- (xi) To engage in any educational, legal, social, training, apprenticeship, or political activities having the purpose of improving political, social, and economic conditions of the members and retirees of the Union, as well as, the people of Canada;
- (xii) To build, maintain, and protect democratic trade unions, and employers; and
- (xiii) To assist any persons or organizations with demonstrated need.
- (xiv) No person or organization shall have benefit under this Constitution that does not comply with the values and beliefs of the Canadian Union of Skilled Workers.
Oath of Office
The Officers of the Union shall dedicate themselves to achieving these objects, and shall take the following pledge: "I, (insert name) hereby solemnly pledge that I will faithfully discharge my duties as an officer of the Union during the term for which I have been elected, or until my successor is duly elected and installed. I will abide by and enforce this Constitution to the best of my ability. I will do my best to maintain this Union as a free and democratic Union, and do my best to maintain Canada as a free and democratic country.
The Members of the Union shall dedicate themselves to achieving these objects, and shall take the following pledge:
"I (insert name) hereby solemnly pledge as a Member of the Union to abide by and enforce this Constitution to the best of my ability. I will do my best to maintain this Union as a free and democratic Union, and do my best to maintain our country as a free and democratic country."